I’ve been playing HEAPS with the BDD 2007 of late, for personal interest and I’m going to sit the exam. I’ll share quite a few things that I’ve found with you but one thing I found really handy today was how to easily capture a reference computers image to WIM.
With the BDD it will create a bootable ISO image for you to use which will allow you to image your computer with the environments that you’ve specified in the BDD. What it will also allow you to do is capture a reference computers image. To do this, follow these steps;
– Install the reference computer with Vista and any other applications and setting changes you would like to be in your base build
– Sysprep the machine and shutdown/reboot
– Boot up the machine with the ISO image for Lite Touch Deployment
– When at the initial first prompt, choose the option Exit to Command Prompt and choose Next.
– Map a network drive to your distribution share (net use s: \\servername\distribution$
– Run ImageX from S:\Distribution\tools\x86 with the following command line options: imagex /capture c: s:\wimimagename.wim “Image Capture Name”